Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mango Coconut Sorbet, for a hot hot day!!

Company is coming today!!  I thought I'd plan dessert and then later I'll figure out what we're actually going to eat.  I want it to be delicious, maybe even a little decadent?  Well, lets start with dessert- decadent and dairy free!!
I've made coconut milk sorbets before.  There was an awesome recipe on canadianliving.com a while back. In fact, I remember making it in Galveston in 2006 while on a family vacation in January...  and I know we had it before then, because I remember that it was a tried and true recipe that I brought with me (along with my icecream maker in my suitcase!!) for family night in our condo.  So my coconut milk sorbet from before was a simple syrup made with lime juice and lime zest, added to coconut milk in the ice cream maker.  So, same technique here, except that I want it to have a lot of mango purée in there too.
One 600g bag of frozen mango into the food processor.  A little hard to purée because it was frozen.  No problem, the next step will fix that.  We still need a simple syrup:  1/2 cup pulp free orange juice, 1/2 cup sugar, in a saucepan on the stove.  Bring to a boil, completely dissolving sugar and reducing slightly.

Now we have a smooth mango purée! 
Add the coconut milk and blend...  and into the ice cream maker!  
Oh wait, maybe you should read the instructions on the icecream maker that you haven't used in a few years to remember how to use it!!  Or, you could just dump everything in and then not be able to put the paddle attachment in...  and not be able to dump it out because it is already frozen to the edges, so you end up having to paddle the whole thing by hand!!
Starting to chunk up.  Thank goodness I had this hard plastic spatula in my drawer. I think it came with a hand mixer...  lovely tool.  Scrape and stir, scrape and stir....  my arm hurts.

I poured it into a lovely ceramic bowl once it reached the hardest consistency I could paddle, and into the freezer it goes!  Dessert is going to be awesome!
Does this look creamy enough?  It was so good! 


There's only 2 days left to name the quilt!!  Get your creative caps on!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delish Therese!! Will have to make it on these over +30 days that we're not used to! :) Little guy has a dairy allergy, so this is perfect! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete