Saturday, July 7, 2012

Do not press....

I have some pictures to show you.  Maybe this will help you with the quilt name you're going to come up with, but that's not why I'm going to show you the pictures.
Remember I said I was trying out this new technique (well, new to me...)?  Well, let me show you the preliminary results of my experiment in this no- iron technique.
What do you think?

Sweetie says it looks even better now with the white strips in between.  I like it a lot. 

You will notice here the slightest unevenness in the ends.  Less than 1/4 inch in all rows.  I'll trim this up at the end.  Don't you just love my photography skills too?  Yes, that is the camera strap.  Yes, those are my feet.  If only you could get a closer look at the fireworks design I have on my toes.  Muffin is doing nails these days...

No trimming done here.  This is the end I have been starting at to sew the strips.
What you should be noticing is how nicely my lines and rows match up. Now, I could take great care to make this happen, with trimming and pinning and a bunch of other tricks that I haven't learned (hence my usual results), but I haven't taken much care at all.  Well, except for the fact that I carefully cut to exact measure each piece before I started, and I carefully sewed each piece using an exact 1/4 inch seam, and I did not press any fabrics after the initial cutting!  The results are astounding to me!  I have always wondered why the math didn't work out. I would calculate, taking into account seam allowances, and the math wouldn't work out to what reality was.  Or perhaps it was the other way around.  Math is ALWAYS right.  Reality may vary???  Well, I think the trouble with the math was that I could not account for the distortion caused by ironing.  
[Interesting thought here- could it be that the reason my clothes don't fit right has NOTHING to do with the coconut cream strawberry desserts and a whole lot to do with the fact that I iron them???  Maybe I should just wear my clothes wrinkled....  ]

So now that you've seen these pictures, are you thinking of a name?  You still have 6 days!!  There are names posted on my facebook wall post too.  Click here to find it.  I'll be choosing from both places.   I hope to have the quilt top finished before Cookie comes home from Hawaii next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment